Wednesday 31 December 2014

2014 Beauty Discoveries


For me, 2014 has been a year of beauty. I was never really into it so much prior to this year. I wore BB creams and concealers regularly, but never really knew what I was doing with them, or really cared to branch out into anything further.

For some reason it changed early this year. I don't know what clicked, but something made me want to try using a blush and it all grew from there. I suddenly found myself watching beauty videos on Youtube and avidly reading blogs.

This has meant I had a lot of beauty discoveries this year, and below are some of my favourites. For this post I am going to concentrate on make-up discoveries as that is where my love has mostly lay this year. I could have put much, much more, but I decided to keep it short.

My biggest and best discovery of this year, was definitely the Bobbi Brown corrector, which very, very quickly became my holy grail. It was also the first ever high end product I bought. It is the one product I can use without using anything else. Just getting rid of dark under eye circles really changes the look and helps me look fresh instantly.

Eyebrows are one of those things I never considered concentrating on before. I would hear a lot that they were key to framing your face, but I always thought mine were a decent shape and looked okay, so I didn't really need anything on them. It wasn't until the Benefit counter lady used the Gimme Brow on me, that that I realised what a difference grooming them could make. Just brushing the gel through really made them looking more striking, but kept them looking natural at the same time. I like the shape of my eyebrows, so it mostly helps in filling in gaps and it stays on for such a long time.

Another Benefit product I fell in love with this year was the Porefessional. I think this has become quite the staple in the beauty world. I have tried other pore primers but this is by far my favourite. I love the consistency, as it is so light and creamy, and it makes a difference as soon as I put it on. It is also mattifying which is a huge plus in my book, as I have such oily skin.

Having oily skin also means that keeping my make-up in place all day can be a bit of a struggle. I work full time so the longer my make-up can stay without slipping off, the better. To combat this I use Urban Day's de-slick which is a setting spray, and really does help my make-up stay on longer throughout the day. All it takes is a spritz in the morning and I'm good to go. It doesn't last the entire day (but what does, ey?), but it means I can spend a lot less time fixing and worrying about my make-up at work.

One of my favourite discoveries during summer was the Garnier BB Cream. In the hot weather, when my skin gets particularly oily and is much more prone to slipping away, I find it is good to wear a lighter foundation, and this BB cream was my go to the entire summer. It's very light and offers a decent coverage for a BB cream. It evened out my skin without looking cakey, and meant I was able to build on top of it.

For autumn and winter, I switched up my BB cream for the L'Oreal True Match foundation which I absolutely adore. A little goes a long way with this, and really helps my skin look flawless. Ever since the weather started getting cooler, this has been in my routine. I let my skin breath at the weekends or when I'm off, but I use this regularly in my work routine. One of the biggest benefits of this for me, is how much it lasts throughout the day. 

As far as concealers go I have not found anything to beat Maybelline's The Eye Eraser. I use this for under the eyes and to brighten up areas of my face, but it is perfect for that and really makes a difference. If I am just nipping to the shops I will use this to help even out my skin tone as I like how it brightens up and keeps me looking fresh.

Finally one of the newest additions to my collection is the Illamasqua Matte Veil. It has quickly become a favourite, as it does exactly what it says on the tin. It really helps towards keeping my skin looking great all day. Although my skin is so oily it is impossible to keep it looking matte the entire day, it helps with keeping it stay matte for a little longer and crucially with keeping my make-up on. I really love it.

And there we have it; my favourite make-up products of 2014. As you can see, I've really concentrated on getting the base right this year. For the year ahead I want to get better with eyeshadows, and get the confidence to wear them as well as bold lipsticks more often. I also want to concentrate on developing a good skincare routine and look after my hair much more.

What are your beauty discoveries of 2014?

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to try that Maybelline eye concealer and I definitely will when my current one runs out. My favorite beauty discoveries of 2014 are Maybelline Color Tattoos, Revlon ColorStay foundation, Rimmel Stay Matte powder, and Physician's Formula BB cream. Happy New Year!

    xo, Michelle
    Neon Rattail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. The Rimmel Stay Matte powder is an old favourite of mine. I've not tried the others. I may check them out.

      Delete

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *